Belgo-American Restaurant Fraternity Sampling University Avenue

Sampling University Avenue
also known as BARF-SUAVE

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Belgo-American Restaurant Fraternity Sampling University Avenue

Last year during the summer, our then larger group at Thomson-Reuters sampled some restaurants in the wider Eagan vicinity. We went to various places, typically ethnic, like Korean or Japanese, but also good ol' American, like Big Daddy's BBQ, then still on the NE of University and Dale in St. Paul (now it's NW).

BJ, one of the young whippersnappers on the strategy team impressed me with his culinary sense of adventure, his in-depth knowledge of even obscure greasy spoons and his insatiable appetite for more. He is one of the inspirations for this project. The other is the Best Steakhouse on the SW corner of University and Victoria. I must have driven past that corner a thousand times shuttling my kids to or from Capitol Hill school between 1999 and 2010. Despite my curiosity I never went in.

There was the seed of the idea of eating my way up and down University Ave. What I needed was a partner. I mentioned the idea to my lovely spouse, to my surprise she did not take the bait. Instead, she suggested Joel, a perfect choice. A good friend with a good appetite, an iron stomach and a penchant for the weird would be a perfect companion for this endeavor. When I suggested the idea to him, he was on board immediately. We were ready to go and got started.

No comments:

Post a Comment