Belgo-American Restaurant Fraternity Sampling University Avenue

Sampling University Avenue
also known as BARF-SUAVE

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Best Steak House, University and Victoria

Ever since the beginning of BARF-SUAVE, Christian has been lobbying for a trip to Best Steak House at 860 University Avenue. Not that I needed much convincing. When I was in graduate school nearly 30 years ago, the BSH in Dinkytown was a regular (and affordable) stop. I seem to recall getting a steakburger dinner (lettuce salad, grilled ground beef, baked potato, and slab of Texas toast) for under $3 back then. For years, there was a BSH in Roseville on Lexington Avenue, just north of Larpenteur, and we made regular family treks there. I recall my son--in high school at the time--requesting a trip to the Maplewood BSH (on Rice Street) for his birthday.
Always inviting, on a cold winter night ...

But somehow I had never set foot in the University Avenue BSH. Nor had Christian, despite driving past it hundreds of times to drop kids off at school. So, we picked a snowy Friday night to check it out. Stepping in the door, we were immediately greeted by the proprietor/griller. I wasn't surprised later to see the following statement at the restaurant's Web site: "We try to remember that every person who walks through our door is a potential friend, and eventually, a member of our family."

From past BSH visits, the menu and format were familiar. Slide your tray along the cafeteria-style line; retrieve your bowl of iceberg lettuce salad from behind the glass sliding doors (I swear that the self-serve bacon bits, croutons, and dressing options are identical to the ones that BSHs have offered since my Dinkytown days); place your entree order; and then wait at a table for staff to deliver it. I had the sirloin steak dinner for $11.99: two huge (and delicious) pieces of steak, of course with a wonderfully crunchy baked potato, and TWO slabs of Texas toast. (In previous BSH visits, I've never before received two pieces of toast!) I fondly recall the Cokes at the Dinkytown BSH served with finely crushed ice; I miss that, but I didn't come here for the ice. Christian seemed to thoroughly enjoy his "holiday special" steak and shrimp dinner ($10.99), although I think the term "Texas toast" had not previously entered his English lexicon. He vowed to return with his sons very soon.

Return visit with the sons, James and Colin on Jan 12, 2011. The sirloin, rare,
was a hit with the boys and both were impressed with the friendly staff.
Colin said he'll go back with some friends, soon.
The restaurant was festive for the holidays, with red garland surrounding each window and picture frame. It's hard to beat the warmth of BSH's staff and the reasonable prices--ranging from $5.25 for a steakburger dinner to $15.75 for a T-bone dinner, with varying nightly dinner specials. This BSH has been owned by the same family for 25 years, and I hope they continue the tradition for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment