Belgo-American Restaurant Fraternity Sampling University Avenue

Sampling University Avenue
also known as BARF-SUAVE

Friday, April 22, 2011

The Town House Bar

After our rich dinner at HOMI, we needed a beer and decided to stay on University Ave. I suggested the Town House at 1415 University Ave. W, 651-646-7087, probably the bar closest to my own house.

Since my bar hopping days have been over for at least the past two decades (pretty much since moving to the U.S.), I am not that familiar with the scene even in my own front yard. Our University Avenue project should give us some impetus to get acquainted with some of the fine drinking establishments along the Great Connector between the Twin Cities.

The Town House has a storied history, starting its days in 1963 as the Blue Horse as an upscale restaurant frequented by legislators, business people and those needing a place to celebrate a special occasion. I know that my spouse Lynn's grandfather, who owned a business on University selling semi trailers was a frequent customer. Like at some fancy places, patrons could select their cuts from a display cart prior to being cooked. Apparently, the Blue Horse had a hard time adapting to the changing tastes and ended up closing in 1991.

In its wake, the Town House established itself as a more down-to-earth place and as "St. Paul's oldest GLBT Bar." When Joel and I arrived, we were for the first time confronted with the troubles any business owner will face from now on: no more street parking. Barriers went just up today in preparation for the Central Corridor construction project. And while the Town House is flanked by large empty lots, these are fenced off and apparently not available to the public. We ended up parking on a muddy strip in the alley, next to what I am pretty sure were some other patrons' cars.

Joel and I had expected for the place to be quiet but we were proven wrong: a bingo evening was in full swing and most tables were occupied.  Posters on the wall displayed the calendar of events, a lively schedule of entertainment. The clientele looked mostly like folks from the neighborhood. I have to admit that neither Joel or I had any sense that we were walking into a GLBT bar and being there at the time we were there did not give us the slightest hint. I enjoyed my bottle of Blue Moon and Joel his well proportioned gin & tonic.

1 comment:

  1. I've lived in MSP on and off since 1978, and I've never been to either the Blue Horse or the Town House. And I've never played bingo in a bar. What other delights await? Thank you for the enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete